Top 10 Pizza Restaurants in St. Louis0
St. Louis’ Top 10 Pizza Restaurants for August 2017
St. Louis, MO/August 5, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – Pizza may have been brought to the U.S. by Italian immigrants, but it’s become one of the quintessential American foods. We each eat about 46 slices a year—or about 6,000 slices over a lifetime, according to a poll by the CiCi’s Pizza restaurant chain and reported in the New York Daily News. And a perennial question seems to be where to go to get the ultimate slice?
That question is an especially tricky one in St. Louis, with its diverse population, culturally rich neighborhoods, and wide variety of pizza offerings. Just the question of crust alone can get St. Louis pizza lovers into a heated debate. Are we talking about a New York style hand tossed, a Chicago Style deep dish, a bubbly Neapolitan; a soft Sicilian square; or a thin and crispy St. Louis style? Then comes the topic of cheese and the debate starts anew.
It’s been about a year since we addressed the issue of the best pizza places in St. Louis, so we thought it was time to take a fresh look. We checked the customer reviews and gathered the data to find out who St. Louis diners like best. Restaurants had to have at least 50 reviews to make the top 10. We also limited the list to independent pizzerias (those with no franchises and fewer than three stores). One look at the 2017 Top 10 Pizza Restaurants in St. Louis and it’s obvious a lot has changed in the last year!
It turns out St. Louis’ favorite pizza maker is also St. Louis favorite sandwich maker—sort of. Melo’s Pizzeria in Benton Park is the little pizzeria that Blues City Deli owner Vince Valenza and his son Joey Valenza built into the garage behind the sandwich shop (2438 McNair Ave). They refurbished the space and brought in a beautiful wood-fired oven from Naples and started selling pizza in December 2015. After just a few months, Melo’s was already becoming popular, as we talked about in an October 2016 profile. Melo’s menu is almost as small as it’s building, but offers several enticing takes on classic Neapolitan style pizza. We had pondered last October whether Melo’s Neapolitan pizza was on its way to becoming St. Louis’ new favorite, and it turns out that it was!
Another look at the list reveals that there’s a pizza for lovers of every style pie on this updated list. Here are the top 10 10 pizza restaurants in St. Louis.
1. Melo’s Pizzeria (4.84 stars/61 reviews) Benton Park, 2438 McNair Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 833-4489.
2. Corner Bistro (4.72 stars/220 reviews) Princeton Heights, 4993 Loughborough Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 353-1811.
3. Sauce On The Side (4.57 stars/254 reviews) Downtown, 411 North 8th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 241-5667.
4. Pizzeoli – Wood Fired Pizza Napoletana (4.56 stars/174 reviews) Soulard, 1928 South 12th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 449-1111.
5. Molldeli’s Delicatessen (4.52 stars/118 reviews) Concord, 11836 Tesson Ferry Road, Saint Louis, MO 63128, (314) 729-1800.
6. Roma’s Pizza (4.50 stars/113 reviews) Riverbend, 121 East Bethalto Drive, Bethalto, IL 62010, (618) 377-5800.
7. Flamentco’s the Place (4.48 stars/65 reviews) O’Fallon, 711 West US Hwy 50, O’Fallon, IL 62269, (618) 726-2275.
8. Boardwalk Pizza (4.45 stars/80 reviews) Ellisville, 15638 Manchester Road, Ellisville, MO 63011, (636) 238-3520.
9. Pizza-A-Go-Go (4.38 stars/111 reviews) Lindenwood Park, 6703 Scanlan Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 781-1234.
10. Peel Wood Fired Pizza (4.38 stars/580 reviews) Edwardsville, 921 South Arbor Vitae, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 659-8561.
Honorable Mentions are given to deserving restaurants and food crafters who didn’t make their respective top 10 lists for some reason. Sometimes they had great ratings, but not enough reviews. Other times they are staff favorites that we love so much we want to share them with you. This list is a little of both. Honorable Mentions to:
The U.R.B. – Urban Research Brewery (4.71 stars/21 reviews) Forest Park Southeast, 4501 Manchester Ave, St. Louis, MO 63110, (314) 222-0143. Pizza-by-the-slice at a research brewerie; what’s not to love?
Faraci Pizza (4.34 stars/35 reviews) Ferguson, 520 South Florissant Road, Ferguson, MO 63135, (314) 524-2675. Old school St. Louis style pizza baked in a brick-bottom oven from recipes that date back to the early 1900’s.
Anthonino’s Taverna (4.37 stars/993 reviews) The Hill, 2225 Macklind Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 773-4455. Last year’s #1 pizza place is still worth your attention. Thick, slightly sweet, chewy crust blanketed with melty mozzarella and perfectly portioned toppings.
Bonus: In St. Louis we are fortunate to have scores of independent pizzerias, and dozens of pizza chains as well. Some of those chains offer surprisingly good pizza—so good that we feel obliged to give a nod to the chain restaurants that do justice to this special combination of crust, sauce, and cheese. So here are the highest rated chain pizzerias—that is, pizza restaurants with at least three locations. The high customer review ratings indicate that there is really good pizza to be found in these mostly suburban pizza chains.
1. Papa Vito’s (4.51 stars/176 reviews) Belleville, 318 East Washington, Belleville, IL 62220, (618) 277-6200.
2. Dewey’s Pizza (4.45 stars/218 reviews) Edwardsville, 112 East Vandalia Street, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 656-2200.
3. Dewey’s Pizza (4.45 stars/204 reviews) St. Charles, 1520 South 5th Street, Saint Charles, MO 63303, (636) 724-1111.
4. Dewey’s Pizza (4.45 stars/110 reviews) Webster Groves, 122 East Lockwood Ave, Webster Groves, MO 63119, (314) 961-1000.
5. Dewey’s Pizza (4.40 stars/408 reviews) Kirkwood, 124 North Kirkwood Road, Saint Louis, MO 63122, (314) 821-7474.
6. Dewey’s Pizza (4.40 stars/402 reviews) University City, 559 North and South Rd, Saint Louis, MO 63130, (314) 726-3434.
7. JJ Twig’s Pizza & Pub (4.37 stars/92 reviews) Princeton Heights, 5600 Hampton Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 833-6700.
8. Dewey’s Pizza (4.36 stars/152 reviews) Ellisville, 1312 Clarkson Clayton Center, Ellisville, MO 63011, (636) 227-3400.
9. Pi Pizzeria (4.20 stars/771 reviews) Downtown, 610 Washington Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 588-7600.
10. Pi Pizzeria (4.19 stars/946 reviews) The Loop, 6144 Delmar Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63112, (314) 727-6633.
The post Top 10 Pizza Restaurants in St. Louis appeared first on St. Louis Restaurant News & St. Louis Restaurant Reviews.