Top 10 Best Asian Restaurants in St. Louis0
Blend of Cultures Represented Among STL’s Best Asian Restaurants
St. Louis, MO/April 15, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) Best Asian Restaurants – Asian food is a broad category. It includes the cuisines of many nations. Most Westerners may think of it as Southeast Asian and East Asian, but South Asian, Central Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines are also included. It also includes the micro-cuisines of subcultures within those regions. Some Asian fare crosses national lines. Some are the creations of immigrants who left their native countries and created new dishes by applying their traditional cooking techniques to new foods found in their new lands.
That blending of old world technique and new world ingredients is the root of what we call Asian Fusion cuisine. It’s a blending of cultures across regional and national lines that has become quite popular in the U.S. and other Western nations. St. Louis is, of course, no exception. So it shouldn’t be a surprise that when we went looking for the Gateway City’s favorite Asian restaurants, nearly half of the top ten spots are filled with restaurants offering Asian Fusion, including the top spot!
Topping the list is Lona’s Lil Eats at 2199 California Avenue in St. Louis’ Fox Park neighborhood. This place began in a stall with a single gas-grill at Soulard Market. Their fried dumplings quickly became a favorite stop for shoppers. Then in September 2015, the cafe opened, offering diners fresh Asian fare with a soul food vibe. You can still get those famous dumplings at the restaurant, along with make-your-own giant rice paper wraps, which is what they’re most famous for…that and the small town, Chinese style hospitality. But then, Lona’s Lil Eats is St. Louis’ favorite Chinese restaurant too.
We checked the customer reviews and found that many of the Asian restaurants that made our top 10 list last year, are still local favorites. There are some new faces too. According to local diners, here are the top 10 best Asian restaurants in St. Louis:
1. Lona’s Lil Eats (4.64 stars/370 reviews) Asian Fusion, Vegetarian, and Chinese in Fox Park, 2199 California Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 899-5582.
2. Pad Thai (4.54 stars/192 reviews) Thai Food in South County, 12676 Lamplighter Square, Saint Louis, MO 63128, (314) 843-0999.
3. Smiling Buddha (4.44 stars/75 reviews) Asian Fusion, Desserts, and Salad in Oakville, 5544 Telegraph Road, Saint Louis, MO 63129, (314) 845-8233.
4. Himalayan Yeti (4.44 stars/75 reviews) Indian, Himalayan/Nepalese in Northampton, 3515 South Kingshighway Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 354-8338.
5. Tai Ke (4.40 stars/105 reviews) Taiwanese in University City, 8604 Olive Blvd., Saint Louis, MO 63132, (314) 801-8894.
6. Kimcheese (4.30 stars/286 reviews) Asian Fusion in Chesterfield, 13435 Olive Blvd, Chesterfield, MO 63017, (314) 485-1408.
7. Guerrilla Street Food (4.29 stars/227 reviews) Filipino Street Food in Tower Grove East, 3559 Arsenal Street, Saint Louis, MO 63130, (314) 529-1328.
8. Monsoon Vietnamese Bistro (4.27 stars/168 reviews) Vietnamese in Manchester/Ballwin, 14248 Manchester Road, Ballwin, MO 63011, (636) 256-8838.
9. Seoul Taco (4.27 stars/526 reviews) Korean and Asian Fusion in The Loop, 6665 Delmar Blvd., Saint Louis, MO 63130, (314) 863-1148.
10. Truc Lam (4.26 stars/114 reviews) Vietnamese in Tower Grove South, 3737 Gravois Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63116, (314) 776-1299.
Honorable mentions (Best Asian Restaurants):
Kounter Kulture (4.80 star/46 reviews) Asian Fusion in Lindenwood Park, 3825 Watson Road, St. Louis, MO 63109, (314) 781-4344. This little shack of Asian fusion heaven actually got the highest score, but didn’t have enough reviews (minimum 50) to make the top 10. It’s not too surprising since they just opened as a brick-and-mortar incarnation of Kitchen Kulture last fall. The little carry out restaurant occupies the location vacated when Pint Size Bakery moved to bigger digs. Now that the weather is warming up, making their outdoor-only seating more appealing, Tower Grove Farmer’s Market favorite is sure to become a farm-to-table favorite among south-side diners.
Private Kitchen (4.39 stars/36 reviews) Chinese, University City, 8106 Olive Blvd, University City, MO 63130, (314) 989-0283. This is one of the more unique restaurants in the St. Louis area, Asian or otherwise. Private Kitchen is a reservations-only restaurant offering original and authentic Shanghai-style Chinese food. The twist is that your order is taken when you make book your table. That way owner and chef Lawrence Chen can shop for the ingredients, ensuring they are the freshest possible. It also allows him to create some extraordinary menu items that require days of preparation. Everything is good—the soup dumplings are amazing.