The Top 10 Ice Cream Shops in St. Louis0
St. Louis Diners’ Picks for Cold, Creamy Treats
St. Louis, MO/June 04, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) Ice Cream Shops – Nothing cools off a warm summer day quite like a cold, creamy scoop of ice cream. Well, nothing except maybe a cold, extra creamy scoop of frozen custard or a light, refreshing scoop of frozen yogurt! St. Louis diners are in the enviable position of being able to choose exactly the kind of frozen confection they want. Whether it’s a scoop of nutty, homemade rocky road, silky salted caramel gelato in a hand-pressed waffle cone, tangy froyo with boba, or a simple vanilla soft serve cone, St. Louis’ many ice cream shops have got you covered. And we love it!
Americans consume more ice cream than anyone else in the world. According to the International Dairy Food Association, the average American consumes almost 22 pounds of ice cream each year. Summer is our favorite time of year to head out for a cold, creamy treat. So with the start of summer, we wanted to know where St. Louisans go for their favorite ice cream excursion. We looked at customer reviews to find the ice cream, frozen custard, frozen yogurt, and gelato shops that rated the highest. We were a little surprised by some of the results.
It was no surprise that frozen custard purveyors dominated the list, taking the the top three spots. The higher percentage of butterfat and egg yolk make it extra creamy. It was a close race for the #1 spot, with just one-tenth of a point separating first from third. We knew the shops that made the list were all going to be highly rated. What we didn’t expect was to find two suburban frozen custard stands edging past St. Louis’ original frozen custard king, Ted Drewes. Although to be fair to the south city icon, Ted Drewes had far more customer reviews than any other establishment—more than 3,000—and still maintained a 4.65 star rating. That’s impressive.
Topping the list was Fritz’s Frozen Custard in Florissant. This family-owned frozen custard stand opened in 1983 and quickly became a local favorite. They offer classic vanilla, in original and lite 95-percent fat-free, or no-sugar added vanilla. There’s also chocolate frozen custard and a rotating variety of “flavor of the day” selections like Mint Chip, Butter Pecan, Strawberry, Yellow Cake Batter, Chocolate Malt and seasonal favorites Pumpkin, eggnog, and Cinnamon to name just a few. One of the things that sets Fritz’s apart is that these flavors are added while the frozen custard is being made, not mixed in later. The flavor of the day as I was writing this was Cappuccino Almond. Some of the upcoming flavors include Chocolate Malt, Brownie Batter, Salted Caramel Pecan, and Black Raspberry Lite.
Besides their famous Turtle Sundae, Fritz offers a whole menu of yummy treats. Looking for something extra chocolaty? Try the Dirt Cake; it’s a warm brownie with chocolate custard, oreos, and chocolate syrup. Or try the Tiramisu, made with sponge cake, cappuccino, vanilla custard, whipped cream, and chocolate drizzle. There are more than 45 toppings and mix-ins to choose from, so you can create the frozen treat of your dreams. There are now five Fritz’s locations, but St. Louis’ favorite is the original in Florissant.
One of the other things we discovered while researching this Top 10 list is that there’s a great ice cream shop in every corner of the metro area. So without further ado, here are St. Louis’ Top 10 ice cream shops:
1. Fritz’s Frozen Custard (4.75 stars/101 reviews) Old Town Florissant, 1055 Saint Catherine Street, Florissant, MO 63031, (314) 839-4100.
2. Bobby’s Frozen Custard (4.71 stars/163 reviews) Metro-east, 2525 North Center Street/IL-159, Maryville, IL 62062, (618) 345-3002.
3. Ted Drewes Frozen Custard (4.65 stars/3300 reviews) Saint Louis Hills, 6726 Chippewa Street, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 481-2652.
4. Clementine’s Naughty & Nice Creamery (4.62 stars/359 reviews) Lafayette Square, 1637 South 18th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 596-9689.
5. Gelato Di Riso (4.60 stars/140 reviews) The Hill, 5204 Wilson Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 664-8488.
6. Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams (4.60 stars/174 reviews) Central West End, 389 North Euclid Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 367-1700.
7. The Fountain On Locust (4.48 stars/1124 reviews) Midtown, 3037 Locust Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 535-7800.
8. Skeeters Frozen Custard (4.46 stars/52 reviews) Overland, 9622 Lackland Road, Saint Louis, MO 63114, (314) 428-3575.
9. Crown Candy Kitchen (4.41 stars/1244 reviews) Old North St. Louis, 1401 Saint Louis Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63106, (314) 621-9650.
10. Gelateria Del Leone (4.36 stars/232 reviews) Tower Grove South, 3197 South Grand Blvd., Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 776-3500.
Since we require at least 50 customer reviews in order to make the top ten, there are always a few places that are highly rated, but don’t have quite enough reviews to make the cut. To these fine establishments, we offer Honorable Mentions:
S & J Sno-Ball & Custard Shop (4.74 stars/34 reviews) Arnold, 3857 West Outer Road, Arnold, MO 63010, (636) 296-7182. This is a hometown, summertime ice cream stand with a straightforward walk-up window offering frozen custards and snow cones, plus a few picnic tables.
Silky’s Frozen Custard (4.71 stars/45 reviews) Ellisville, 16043 Manchester Road, Ellisville, MO 63011, (636) 230-8202. There are three Silky’s custard stands, including St. Peters, Creve Coeur, and this one in Ellisville.
The Malt Shop (4.48 stars/29 reviews) Fenton, 1751 Smizer Station Road, Fenton, MO 63026, (636) 825-2121. This is an old-fashioned malt shop, offering burgers, fries, and all the classic desserts, plus Hawaiian shaved ice sno-cones.
The post The Top 10 Ice Cream Shops in St. Louis appeared first on St. Louis Restaurant News & St. Louis Restaurant Reviews.