The Best Fried Chicken in St. Louis0
St. Louis’ Top 10 Fried Chicken Restaurants
St. Louis, MO/April 22, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – Fried chicken may be the ultimate picnic food. It is quintessentially American. Yet everyone has their own ideas about what makes for perfect fried chicken. Yet we can all agree that when it’s done right, it’s juicy, crispy, and delicious! America loves fried chicken so much that it’s become the staple menu item for restaurants of many kinds. American Southern-style fried chicken is internationally popular and global variations from Korean, Japanese, and other culinary centers are finding their way to dinner plates in St. Louis.
From fast casual to fast food, and diners to food trucks, it seems the fried chicken options are endless. With all that chicken frying in St. Louis restaurants, we wanted to know who does it best. So we checked the customer reviews to find out who does it best. What we found was an eclectic selection of casual eateries that span the metro area.
Topping the list is a Metro East lounge that’s truly unique. The Fairview Lounge at 10616 Lincoln Trail in Fairview Heights is part restaurant, part convenience store, and part gas station. In 2014, lounge owners Abraham and Lorena Abdalla divided the space, using part of it to create a restaurant called Panka Peru, which specializes in Peruvian cuisine and fried chicken. The Peruvian dishes occupy the bulk of the menu—everything from empanadas and ceviche to anticuchos (beef heart on skewer) and Papas a la Huancaina (potatoes with spicy yellow cream sauce). Fried chicken can be ordered as a dinner or in bulk to go. Beyond the Peruvian dishes, sides include sweet potato fries, red beans and rice, onion rings, and more.
At first glance, Fairview Lounge looks like a gas station and convenience store, and it is. Once inside, customers will find a restaurant with comfortable, casual vibe. Diners will also find a fully stocked bar offering a wide selection of reasonably priced drinks, including more than 200 beers available, including craft, imports, and domestics, and 16 on tap. If you don’t want alcohol, they also offer soft drinks, iced tea, juice, and traditional Peruvian drinks like Chica Morada (made from purple corn, pineapple juice, and spices) and Inca Kola (a sweet, creamy soda made with lemon verbena). They also feature live music on Friday nights, everything from rock ’n’ roll, to jazz, and blues. Modeled after convenience store-gas station-restaurants found in Peru, Fairview Lounge is unlike any fried chicken place you will find anywhere, and it’s St. Louis’ favorite.
Here’s the complete list of the top 10 fried chicken restaurants in St. Louis, according to customer reviews:
1. Fairview Lounge (4.77 stars/90 reviews) Metro East, 10616 Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights, IL 62208, (618) 394-8904.
2. Maggie’s Lunchbox (4.52 stars/73 reviews) Fenton, 867 Horan Drive, Fenton, MO 63026, (636) 326-4411.
3. Southern (4.36 star, 362 reviews) Midtown, 3108 Olive Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 531-4668.
4. Goody Goody Diner (4.32 stars/183 reviews) Wells/Goodfellow, 5900 Natural Bridge Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63120, (314) 383-3333.
5. Farmhaus Restaurant (4.27 stars/386 reviews) Lindenwood Park, 3257 Ivanhoe Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 647-3800.
6. The Piccadilly at Manhattan (4.23 stars/240 reviews) Ellendale, 7201 Piccadilly Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63143, (314) 646-0016.
7. Hilary’s Roadhouse Diner (4.31 stars/72 reviews) Maryland Heights, 11488 Dorsett Road, Maryland Heights, MO 63043, (314) 291-0599.
8. Castelli’s Restaurant at 255 (4.23 stars/141 reviews) Metro East, 3400 Fosterburg Road, Alton, IL 62002, (618) 462-4620.
9. Porter’s Fried Chicken (3.96 stars/188 reviews) Maplewood, 3628 South Big Bend Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63143, (314) 781-2097.
10. Juniper (3.95 stars/221 reviews) Central West End, 360 North Boyle Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 329-7696.
As is often the case when we look for the best restaurants of any sort, there are a couple of really terrific places that didn’t make our list because they didn’t have enough reviews. The minimum is 50. Customers rave about the fried chicken at the following three restaurants, so Honorable Mentions go to:
Jerry’s Cafeteria & Catering (4.52 stars/27 reviews) Metro East, 1920 Edison Ave, Granite City, IL 62040, (618) 452-0078. After 30 years in downtown Granite City, this place is still a local favorite for the scratch made desserts, generous portions, and crispy, homestyle fried chicken that’s available to eat in or carry out. They also cater!
Chicken Coop (4.49 stars/39 reviews) St. Peters, 449 South Church Street, Saint Peters, MO 63376, (636) 278-2969. This is a walk-up window offering takeout fried chicken, catfish, and classic Southern-style sides. They cook it fresh, so customers recommend calling ahead, or plan for a 20-minute wait.